You use your eyes daily to navigate the world around you, but have you considered how important it is to care for them? Regular eye exams are vital to maintaining your overall eye health. Visiting a Bronx optometrist for regular eye exams can improve your vision and help detect serious health issues before they become major problems.
Here are some of the reasons why regular eye exams are important:
- Early detection of eye diseases: Eye exams can help detect diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts, and macular degeneration in their early stages. Early detection can lead to early treatment and management, which can help prevent vision loss or even blindness.
- Detection of systemic health problems: Eye exams can also detect certain systemic health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Changes in the eye’s blood vessels can indicate these conditions, which may not yet have any other noticeable symptoms.
- Prescription changes: Regular eye exams can ensure that your prescription for glasses or contact lenses is up-to-date, which can help prevent headaches, eye strain, and other vision problems.
- Screen time affects: In today’s digital age, more people are staring at screens, which can cause eye strain and fatigue. Regular eye exams can help detect these problems and offer advice on managing screen time.
- Age-related changes: As you age, your eyes go through natural changes such as decreased tear production, changes in the lens, and reduced color vision. Regular eye exams can manage these changes, which can help maintain good eye health as you age.
Services an optometrist can offer
Here are some of the services that an optometrist can offer:
- Comprehensive eye exams: Optometrists provide comprehensive eye exams to evaluate visual acuity, eye health, and function. This includes evaluating the front and back of the eye, screening for eye diseases such as glaucoma and cataracts, and assessing the need for glasses or contact lenses.
- Contact lens services: Optometrists can perform contact lens fittings to determine the correct type, size, and prescription for your eyes. They can also provide ongoing care and monitoring to ensure that your contact lenses fit properly and your eyes remain healthy.
- Vision therapy: Vision therapy is a customized program of eye exercises and activities to improve eye coordination, focus, and visual processing. Optometrists can provide vision therapy to children and adults with vision problems that cannot be corrected with glasses or contact lenses.
- Low vision rehabilitation: Optometrists can provide low vision evaluations and rehabilitation services for people with permanent vision loss. This may include prescribing special devices and tools to help them perform daily activities more independently.
- Management of eye diseases: Optometrists can treat various eye diseases, including glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, and dry eye syndrome. They can also co-manage eye surgeries such as cataract surgery and LASIK surgery with ophthalmologists.
If you are due for an eye exam or experiencing any vision problems, scheduling an appointment with your optometrist at Bainbridge Eye Care is recommended.